Sunday, July 17, 2011

Pulled the claw off of my Coral Banded Shrimp for attacking my eel please help?

One of the first things i put in my 29 gallon tank was a coral banded shrimp. He has caused problems with every thing else in the tank! My anemone got its tentacle cut off and harrassed, my purple lobster was attacked, my blue damsal was pinched, my serpent sea star's leg was cpinched and today, I saw my baby snowflake eel (11 or so in.) swiming around the tank looking for a bigger cave and the coral banded pinched it various times on the body, tail, and then when I saw it pinch near his eyeball I made the mistake of playing god in my tank. I put in my feeding tongs, whacked the thing into the corner and waited hoping it would teach him to stay away from eel he is already practically blind and my main pet in there I DONT WANT THAT SHRIMP HARMING HIM AT ALL> I would kill the shrimp to prevent serious injury on him. Then, i saw the shrimp chase after the eel and pinch millimeters from its eye while the eel was scared to death. I put in the tongs furiously and clamped down on the shrimp pulling up and saw that its entire left arm was left on the tongs and it scurried away. I know it will most likely grow back in a few months as he is completly healthy otherwise. Did i do the right thing? I can't take him back to the store with one claw and feel bad enough aboutthat already and wouldnt LIKE to kill him as I really think he doesnt deserve to be killed but if i did, it would ease the stress in my tank I think and ensure these animals all live happy. BTW, the damsal and thee ell are totally fine together everytime the eel comes near the damsal, it swats at him with his back fins showing dominance and they never attack each other. I am upgrading to a 65 gallon tank in December so please don't lecture me about the size of my tank. The bio load is ok so far and water has stayed pretty good. What should I do about the shrimp? hopefully he can still live with one claw but cant cause as much damage to anything. Did I do the right thing in this situation to ensure the life of the other creatures? I goth the shrimp because I hoped its agressivness would keep the eel from eating it as it got bigger but now realize it is endangering the eel more. Should I kill it? I can't return it so dont suggest that please I feel like an *** for the claw removal but hope it will keep the little bastard in check

No comments:

Post a Comment